Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day



My husband Bob wrote this yesterday and posted it on
Facebook. I moved me so much. I remember that
trip so well. The overwhelming sadness looking
across all those tombstones. I looked at it
through a mothers eyes. Those boys. The sacrifice.
The pride and sadness leaving me almost
breathless. I just stood among them saying
a prayer for them. To let them know,
no, they were not forgotten.

So here is what he wrote, and I think it says it all:


There are 2 holidays a year that mean the most
to me, no, not Christmas or my Birthday.
They are Memorial Day and Veterans Day.
Today is Memorial Day. A day set
aside to remember those who died
serving our country past and present.
A couple of years ago I went to the
American cemetery in Luxemburg.

It’s where General Patton is buried, along
with many of his troops
I was excited to go. It turned out to be
one of my most saddest days.
Overlooking THOUSANDS of headstones marking
the bullet ridden and blown up bodies,
of those who sacrificed their lives to keep us free.

















It is only one, of many American cemeteries in
Europe. Tears flowed as I saw the names.
Up to then, they were “those who died in service” .
They never came home.

Please don’t treat this holiday as just another
3 day weekend. Take time to reflect.
Reflect on those who died in all our wars declared
or not. Do we deserve their sacrifice ?
Don’t take our freedom for granted.

2 comments:

  1. I think I went in to Labor that night too!! It was definetly a neat thing to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...thanks for sharing Melissa!!!

    ReplyDelete